The Equality Act 2010 was introduced to ensure protection from discrimination, harassment and victimisation on the grounds of protected characteristics. For schools, this means that it is unlawful to discriminate against individuals or treat them less favourably because of their sex, age, race, disability, religion or belief, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity.
Our Equality Objectives for 2022/23 are:
- Strive to achieve equality of opportunity for all, adults and pupils, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, religious belief, sexual orientation and socio-economic background. (Aligned with the 9 protected characteristics highlighted in the equalities act.)
- To continue to provide a school environment that welcomes, protects, respects and celebrates diversity.
- To eradicate the use of homophobic, sexist, racist and any other discriminative language in our school.
- To review the accessibility of our school for students, staff and visitors with disabilities.
- To ensure the curriculum represents a diverse culture and society and encourages tolerance and respect